Many of us enjoy a glass of wine with a meal, while entertaining friends or snuggled up on the sofa. But white, rosé and particularly red wines cause noticeable stains on nearly all fabrics. Although the pigment in grapes is quick to attach to textiles, don’t panic – Vanish Gold Oxi Action Stain Removal Powder attacks anthocyanins (the colourants in wine grapes) directly.
To remove wine stains from clothes its best to pre-treat or soak and then wash the garments using Vanish, as this will really enable our amazing Oxi Action formula to get to work. For stains on carpets, use our handy Vanish Gold Carpet Care Stain Remover Spray.
To find out how to get optimal results on a range of different items and fabrics, read on for more detailed instructions on how Vanish can help.
- What are anthocyanins?
- How to remove red wine stains from a carpet
- How to remove red wine stains from clothes
- How to remove other wine stains from clothes
What are anthocyanins?
Aside from the flavour notes, the main difference between red, white and rosé wine is the colour. White wine is traditionally clear and not such a problem when it comes to accidental spills. However, the pink and purple hues in reds and rosés are created by stain-causing anthocyanins, a type of plant pigment and antioxidant. It’s these tricky little particles that can make red wine stains such a nightmare to remove!
How to remove red wine stains from a carpet
To remove red wine stains from carpet, start by acting fast. While the stain is still wet, gently absorb as much liquid as you can using a paper/cotton towel. If you’re removing wine stains from fabric that has dried, don’t panic – move straight to the next step. Use our Vanish Gold Carpet Care Stain Remover Spray and watch it work its magic:
- Spray the product onto the stain and leave to soak for 5 minutes (max)
- Gently blot with a clean, absorbent cloth to soak up excess liquid
- Repeat Steps 1-2 as many times as necessary until the stain has gone
If you need to remove other wine stains from carpet – such as white or rosé – simply follow the steps above.
How to remove red wine stains from clothes
To remove red wine stains from shirts, jeans or other washable clothing, try to tackle it immediately following the below steps.
To remove red wine stains from white clothing, use Vanish Gold Oxi Action Crystal White Powder.
- Mix ¼ scoop of powder with ¾ of warm or cold water
- Rub the mixture into the surface and leave for up to 5 minutes (max)
- Meanwhile, dissolve 1x scoop of Vanish powder in 4L of warm or cold water (40° max)
- Soak item for 1 hour (max)
- Wash as usual adding another scoop of Vanish to your detergent
To remove red wine stains from coloured clothes, use Vanish Gold Oxi Action Stain Removal Powder following these simple steps:
- Mix 1/4 scoop of powder with 3/4 scoop of warm or cold water (max 40°) into a paste
- Gently rub stain with the paste using the base of the scoop and leave for a maximum of 5 minutes
- Dissolve 1x scoop of powder in 4L of warm or cold water (max 40°) and soak the item in the solution for a maximum of 1 hour
- Wash the item as usual with your normal detergent and add another scoop of Vanish
Before using Vanish Oxi Action, you should always follow the usage instructions on the packaging and follow its care advice.
How to remove other wine stains from clothes
While white and rosé wine are more discreet, all wines contain tannins so the potential to stain is still great. To remove white wine stains from clothes, turn your fabric inside out and rinse the back of the stain with cold water before following the instructions as per red wine. Due to the colourful tint in rosé, you need to treat this the same way you would a red wine stain.
Wine on your clothes, carpet or other fabric is never good news. But wine stains – whether you prefer a red, white or rosé – can all be managed with Vanish, specially formulated to work on the anthocyanins in wine. So put your feet up, unwind and sip away, without a worry in the world…
If you’re also looking to remove other annoying stains like coffee, read our coffee removal guide here.
- Always follow washing instructions on garment or fabric care label.
- Before use check for colour fastness by testing a hidden area of the fabric.
- Rinse and allow to dry.
- After washing or treating garments with Vanish Gold, dry away from sources of direct heat and direct sunlight.
- When using Vanish to pre-treat, use lukewarm water.
- For best results it may be necessary to repeat parts of the process.
- Do not use on garments requiring dry cleaning.
- Do not pour the product on any metallic parts of the garments (e.g. buttons, zips).
- Do not expose pre-treated or soaked garments to sources of direct heat or direct sunlight before washing or rinsing thoroughly.
- Do not leave the product to dry on garments (maximum 10 minutes contact time).