7 steps to prevent clothes fading
Heat, friction, lint transfer – once you know the reasons for fabric fading you can combat them with a few washing tricks, whether you want to know how to prevent cotton clothes from losing colour or how to keep black jeans black. Follow this step-by-step guide that explains all:
- Follow care label instructions. Choosing the right method from the get-go helps prevent fading.
- Separate clothes. Lint can transfer and dull colours, so wash black clothes, white clothes, and coloured clothes separately, with the appropriate product — Vanish Oxi Action Multi Power Gel or Vanish Oxi Action Multi Power Powder for colours, and Vanish Oxi Action Crystal White Gel for whites.
- Turn inside out. This is particularly relevant when trying to stop black jeans fading, but all items benefit from outer fibre protection.
- Choose cooler temperatures. Hot water is a leading cause of clothes fading. You still get great results with our Oxi Action formula at 30°C.
- Use a gentle cycle. Reducing agitation is a key step in preventing coloured and black clothes fading.
- Don’t overfill your machine. This also helps reduce friction, and the machine isn’t so tough on your garments.
- Air dry. We aren’t just covering how to stop black clothes fading in the wash; we’re also covering the drying process. Tumble-drying can contribute to fading, so hang dry indoors where possible. If it has to be outdoors, ensure clothes are inside-out to stop the sun fading them.