Often seen as guilty pleasures, foods containing grease and oil can be a nightmare if it ends up on your favourite clothing. It may be one of the hardest to remove stains, but it’s no match for Vanish.
Find out how Vanish Gold Oxi Action Gel can help you get rid of them. <br>
Top Tip: Before you start - try sprinkling baby powder (or corn starch) on the stain to absorb any excess grease, brush off and repeat. If you don’t have anything to sprinkle, try using a dull knife or spoon – the aim is to remove as much of the grease or oil beforehand to make the stain removal a little easier. <br>
Use This: Vanish Gold Oxi Action Gel
Step 1: Firstly pre-treat the stain. For a normal stain, pour 60ml of gel into the pod. For tough dried in stains, pour 120ml of gel into the pod.
Step 2: Gently rub in the gel using the underside of the pod which has specifically designed grooves to work Vanish into the stain.
Step 3: Leave on stain for 10 minutes max, you’ll see the stain begin to disappear.
Step 4: Pour an extra 60ml/120ml of gel in the pod and place it in your machine with your laundry or pour in the drawer with your detergent.
Step 5: Wash as usual
Alternatively, see our Stain solver page for more information on removing cooking oil stains from clothing.
Vanish gets to work quickly on your stain. And your stain is solved!
Grease and Oil Stain Removal Tips
If you don't have a Vanish stain removal product to hand then don't worry, below are some steps you can take to help you manage in the meantime. To tackle grease and oil stains, pre-treat clothes with one of these DIY tips provided below:
• Our top oil & grease stain removal tip is to attack the stain rapidly! Oil & Grease stains will become more difficult to remove later if you don't treat them immediately as they start to set into the fabric.
• Do not put the stained clothing in the dryer before fully treating the stain. The heat from a dryer can set in any grease and oil still on the garment. Check your clothing labels for best drying methods, we recommend air drying outside if possible.
• Do not add water to the oil stain. With other stains it might be recommended to add water to the stain, however, oils themselves are hydrophobic (repels water molecules). Adding water can enlarge the size of the stain, making it more pronounced. Only add water to the stain if you are treating it with Vanish.
• Remove/ soak up the excess oil with anything absorbent, for example:
- A clean paper towel
- A clean cloth
- A dull knife or spoon
- A clean, dry sponge
- Baby powder
- Corn starch
Dab the oil stain for a few minutes to try and soak up the excess oil. Be careful not to spread the stain. Scrape/ brush off the excess.
• To stop the stain spreading to the other side of your garment, place a piece of cardboard inside the garment, behind the cooking oil stain. If you don’t have any spare cardboard lying around, try using a plastic bag, this way you can limit the spread of the stain.
• Rinse with hot water, not cold.
How to Prevent Grease and Oil Stains
As far as prevention, grease & oil stains are hard to avoid, especially if you’re an avid cook, or you work in a kitchen with a deep fat fryer.
What you can do though is reduce the severity of the stain by acting fast and removing the excess cooking oil from the stained area:
• Work from outside-in when blotting the stain. Always work your way into the center of the stain and not from the center-outward as this can spread the stain further.
• Using Vanish, and following our top tips will give you the best chances of removing the cooking oil stain, and saving your beloved garment.
• For more information on grease stains, see our handy guide.
Other Types of Grease and Oil Stains – Motor Oil
Work in a garage? Been tinkering with your car or bike?
Motor oil and cooking oil are both tricky stains to get out of clothing but don’t worry, with Vanish and a little know how, you can remove the stain with ease.
See our Vanish Stain Solver page for getting rid of:
• Motor Oil and Grease On Clothes For Colours
• Motor Oil and Grease On Clothes For Whites