When our little ones come home from school with unidentified stains on their new winter jacket it can bring on feelings of dread! Not only are they often pricey to replace and so need to be durable enough to last a long time – but there’s also a general perception that coats and jackets are harder to clean than other garments. However, this doesn’t have to be the case with Vanish!
Our Oxi Action formula has the power to lift even the toughest stains first time, and you can choose either our gel or powder format. To treat your stains, you can either pre-treat, soak, or simply use in wash but make sure you check the garment care label. If your coat is not machine washable you will need to pre-treat the stain carefully and then follow up by rinsing the garment.
For best results, follow the instructions below – or browse our fabric stain removal articles for top tips on how to remove stains from a variety of materials.
- How to remove stains from light jackets
- Coloured jackets
- White jackets
- How to remove stains from a winter jacket
How to remove stains from light jackets
Light jackets are usually machine washable so we’d recommend using Vanish in your regular wash if you’re tackling a simple stain. If it’s a stubborn or dried on stain, we advise that you pre-treat and then soak the garment, followed by a regular wash (only if the label says it’s machine washable).
For coloured jackets:
Whether it’s your favourite bold red coat, or your much-loved bright turquoise jacket for summer nights, we all treasure those garments that add a little colour into our wardrobes. So, it’s natural that we want to be able to remove stains from them with ease, without damaging their colour. That’s why, for coloured jackets we’d recommend using Vanish Gold Oxi Action Stain Removal Powder or Vanish Gold Oxi Action Stain Removal Gel– which both act in the same way, while targeting even tough stains. To use, follow these simple steps:
Using Vanish Gold Oxi Action Stain Remover Powder:
- Mix 1/4 scoop of powder with 3/4 scoop of warm or cold water (max 40°) into a paste or add a 2ml does of gel.
- Gently rub the mixture into the stain on your jacket using the knobbly base of the scoop or cap and leave for a maximum of 5 minutes.
- Dissolve 1x scoop of powder or a 60ml dose of gel in 4L of warm or cold water (max 40°) and soak your jacket in the solution for a maximum of one hour.
- Wash the jacket as usual with your normal detergent and add another dose of Vanish.
Take note: If the stain isn’t too severe, try Step 1 alone first – simply rinsing the paste away after five minutes. If the stain is still there, proceed to the following steps, or, if the jacket isn’t machine washable, repeat Step 1.
For white jackets:
White jackets provide the perfect cover-up for Summer BBQ’s at the beach, but due to their light colour they’re especially unforgiving when it comes to stains!
That’s why, for white jackets, we recommend using Vanish Gold Oxi Action Crystal White Powder which will also restore your whites back to bright!
As with coloured shirts, for best results on particularly bad or set-in stains, follow the steps below (pre-treat, soak or wash). For less severe stains, or for jackets that aren’t machine washable, stick to Step 1 and repeat if necessary.
- Mix 1/4 scoop of powder with 3/4 scoop of water (max 40°) into a paste.
- Gently rub the mixture into the stain and leave for 5 minutes (max).
- Dissolve 1x scoop of Vanish Crystal White Powder in 4L of warm water (max 40°) and soak the jacket in the solution for a maximum of six hours (only do this if the jacket is machine washable, and if the entire jacket it white, aka no coloured trimmings).
- Wash the jacket as usual with your normal detergent and add another scoop of Vanish Crystal White Powder (only do this if the jacket is machine washable).
How to remove stains from a winter jacket
Winter coats tend to be heavier and so harder to machine wash. For those that are machine washable, however, you can follow the same steps as above. For those that aren’t, simply pre-treat the stain with Vanish powder or gel and then rinse thoroughly with cold water, repeating the process if necessary.
- Always follow washing instructions on garment or fabric care label.
- Before use check for colour fastness by testing a hidden area of the fabric.
- Rinse and allow to dry.
- After washing or treating garments with Vanish Gold, dry away from sources of direct heat and direct sunlight.
- When using Vanish to pre-treat, use lukewarm water.
- For best results it may be necessary to repeat parts of the process.
- Do not use on garments requiring dry cleaning.
- Do not pour the product on any metallic parts of the garments (e.g. buttons, zips).
- Do not expose pre-treated or soaked garments to sources of direct heat or direct sunlight before washing or rinsing thoroughly.
- Do not leave the product to dry on garments (maximum 10 minutes contact time).