Rust, also known as iron oxide, is formed when iron and oxygen react in the presence of water or moisture in the air. Rust stains can appear on your favourite clothes out of the blue, which can be annoying, not to mention ugly! Whether it’s from your washing machine tub or pipes, from an accidental scrape with an old railing or using the tools in your shed, getting rid of rust stains doesn’t have to be a nightmare.
Thanks to Vanish, it can remove rust stains easily with its powerful Oxi Action formula. Simply, soak the stained garment in Vanish Gold Oxi Action Stain Removal Powder before putting it in the wash.
Read on to learn how to get rid of rust stains once and for all.
How to remove rust stains from clothes
Getting rid of rust stains doesn’t have to be a big saga. With Vanish Gold Oxi Action Stain Removal Powder for colours or Vanish Gold Oxi Action Crystal White Powder for whites, you can remove stubborn rust stains with a simple soak. Follow the instructions below to make your rust stains a thing of the past:
- Mix ¼ scoop of powder with ¾ of water (max 40°) to form a paste and place directly onto the stain
- Gently rub the formula in using the scoop and leave for a maximum of 10 minutes
- Wash as usual with your regular detergent and add another scoop of Vanish
For stains that stick around, give them an additional soak for maximum results. Simply add a scoop of Vanish powder into 4L of warm or cold water (max 40°), and then leave it to soak for 1 hour (max) for colours and 6 hours (max) for whites. After, just wash the garment as usual with detergent and an additional scoop of Vanish for good measure.
Important: Always read the label on the product packaging and the garment before use. If you’re unsure, test on a small, inconspicuous area.
Don’t let it dry: If your items were stained as a result of the washing machine, don’t let the garment dry. It sets the stain and makes it even harder to remove the second time around.
Need to remove old set-in stains? Read our handy guide to get rid of stubborn old stains for good.
- Always follow washing instructions on garment or fabric care label.
- Before use check for colour fastness by testing a hidden area of the fabric.
- Rinse and allow to dry.
- After washing or treating garments with Vanish Gold, dry away from sources of direct heat and direct sunlight.
- When using Vanish to pre-treat, use lukewarm water.
- For best results it may be necessary to repeat parts of the process.
- Do not use on garments requiring dry cleaning.
- Do not pour the product on any metallic parts of the garments (e.g. buttons, zips).
- Do not expose pre-treated or soaked garments to sources of direct heat or direct sunlight before washing or rinsing thoroughly.
- Do not leave the product to dry on garments (maximum 10 minutes contact time).